Vegetarian Chickpea and Walnut Wellington
- Prep time:
- 20 minutes
- Cook time:
- 35 minutes
A bit dry when I made it, but I think I had too many chickpeas and not enough stock. Worth trying again.
- 450g chickpeas, soaked overnight and boiled for a couple of hours
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 150g chopped walnuts
- 150g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 100g sliced mushrooms
- 50g sweetcorn and/or 50g peas
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 60ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp milk
- 225g frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 7 and line a baking tray.
- Roughly chop the chickpeas, walnuts, Marmite and breadcrumbs in a food processor.
- Sauté the onion and mushrooms in a large frying until lightly cooked.
- Add the blended ingredients to the mushroom mixture then stir in the sweetcorn and/or peas and the garlic.
- Stir in the vegetable stock and coriander and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you prepare the pastry.
- Roll the pastry into a rectangle shape, fill the centre with the chickpea mixture then wrap the pastry around it so that it resembles a plump loaf of bread.
- Seal the edges with damp fingers.
- Place it on the baking tray, seam side down and score the top.
- Brush with the egg and milk mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about half an hour until the pastry is golden.