Microwave Syrup Sponge
- Prep time:
- 8 minutes
- Cook time:
- 5 minutes
Maybe not the exact recipe Mum used, but still very tasty with custard on top.
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 2oz shredded vegetable suet
- 1oz sugar
- 1 egg
- 6-9tbsp milk
- 3tbsp golden syrup
- Custard, to serve
- Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Mix together egg and milk, and mix into dry ingredients.
- Place syrup into bottom of pudding basin and spoon pudding mix on top.
- Cook in microwave for 4:30 until risen and spongy.
- Carefully turn out onto serving plate and serve with custard.
- Microwave timings are for a 650 Watt oven.
- If feeding more than four people, prefer making two puddings if possible instead of doubling up ingredients in a larger pudding basin. I feel it cooks more evenly this way; the large surface in a big basin takes longer to cook while the hot syrup overcooks the base.