- 4 rashers smoked streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary leaves picked and finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- some basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 125ml redwine
- 6 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 400g spaghetti
- Place a large saucepan on a medium heat and fry the chopped bacon rashers for 10mins in 1tsp olive oil until golden and crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and rosemary, all finely chopped, then fry for 10mins.
Stir the veg often until it softens.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the beef mince.
Cook stirring for 3-4mins until the mince is browned all over.
- Add the plum tomatoes, basil, oregano, bay leaves, tomato puree, stock cube, chilli, red wine, and cherry tomatoes.
Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the plum tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to a gently simmer, and cover with a lid.
Cook for 1hr 15mins, stirring occasionally until you have a rich, thick sauce.
- When the bolognese is nearly finished, cook spaghetti, drain, and either stir into the sauce or server with sauce on top.